Yay! Finally I have a new dress to share. I actually finished this before heading out to the conference last week, but have just now had time to write a post. Don’t worry I haven’t forgotten about the Day 3 Conference Recap, its coming later this week. On to the dress.
This dress is a Frankenpattern, or a combination of 2 (or more) patterns to make a garment. I used a tutorial I’ve had pinned for months from The Felted Fox for the tulip skirt and the bodice from M6752 View C/D. I’ve wanted to create a tulip dress since last summer and finally felt this ITY remnant was perfect for one. I wanted a more daring bodice to the bateau neck cap sleeve of The Felted Fox’s version so I dug out McCalls 6752. I felt the gathers in the bodice would work well with the waist gathers of the skirt.
I used the tutorial as a base for the skirt but I did have to make some adjustments. As drafted I felt the skirt was too long so I shortened it and also played with the width of the waistline. Once I had then length and gathers to my satisfaction I attached the skirt to a knit elastic 1″ smaller than my waist. I’m very satisfied with the final outcome and would recommend the tutorial if you are willing to play around with the exactly length of your skirt/dress.
The instructions for M6752 we very simple to follow. Though I hate gathers this lightweight knit didn’t give me any headaches. YAY! After completing the bodice I attached it to the skirt with right sides facings matching up the front wrap pieces.
This was a quickly sew which was great because I was in a rush to complete it. The only thing I would change would have been to create a casing for the elastic instead of attaching the elastic directly to the skirt. I just don’t love the way the exposed elastic feels against my skin, though I did use a knit elastic so it isn’t really uncomfortable.
This was a short one, hope you enjoyed it. Share your favorite tulip skirt/dress patterns in the comments!