This is my first year joining the Make Nine challenge, started by Rochelle of Lucky Lucille back in 2016. I actually just learned of it this year and thought what a great idea! I usually create a To Sew list every season which I never complete and always modify, but it helps me. Confession: I’m a list maker. However, I don’t think I have ever set a annual goal list.
My list consists of “Things I’ve been meaning to sew”. I’ve included items that I’ve been meaning to sew, but I’ve never actually get around to making for one reason or another.
Here it is!
- Shirtdress – I like shirtdresses and wear them fairly often. I’ve yet to make one because I dread buttonholes. Not because they are particularly difficult, but because my machine seems to hate them. Either way I’ve learned my backup machine does a better job with them so maybe I can finally make one. I’m fairly certain I want to use Simplicity 8014 but can’t decide between classic denim or a bold floral and the slim or flared skirt.
- Underwear – I’ve always wanted to make my own underwear. Mainly because it seems to pretty simple and effective way to use knit scraps (which I have tons of). Also undies can be pricey and if I can make my own for a fraction of the cost, why not? I have quite a few underwear patterns but I think Kwik Sew 3881 is a great place to start because it includes a brief, bikini, hipster and thong. SewSinCity has a tanga panty pattern I want to try as well.
- Workout leggings – Somehow I seem to have a generous amount of sports bras and tops, but I’m lacking in workout leggings. I’ve made Butterick 6295 before (here) and after making some tweaks, they worked great, so I plan to make more. I love to buy some of the new amazing athleisure fabrics that Joann carries now, but I have to sew up the athletic spandex in my stash first. See a couple here and here.
- Blazer – I like a blazer to dress up jeans or slacks for work or to add a fashionable layer in a cool office environment. I’m cheating a bit with my pick of Butterick 5926 because it is a knit blazer, but that’s probably what I’d prefer to wear anyway. Target had some ponte blazer last year that I loved, but couldn’t bring myself to buy because I felt I could sew one. I’ve actually made this pattern before by my ponte was too soft and it ended up in the trash pile. I have a sturdier black double knit picked out for my second try.
- Jeans – This is an ambitious one that I have to include to push myself to actually tackle. I’ve shied away from making jeans because they seem very time consuming and I can typically find jeans that fit well and are inexpensive. However seeing more and more of my sewsisters make their own jeans has made me at least want to give it a try. I have some stretch denim I’ve been hoarding for years and I’m decided between Closet Case Ginger jeans and Mimi for Simplicity 8516 as both have great reviews.
- Tunic – Have you made something for someone and then realized you love it. Well that happened to me with Simplicity 8295. I made this tunic for a customer and she loved it, turned out I loved it too. Since then I’ve been meaning to make one for myself, but never got around to it. This will be great for spring! I am leaning towards white linen, but I’m always nervous wearing white so maybe a tan or teal.
- Caftan – This is not a practical pick, but I’ve been wanting to make a full length caftan ever since I saw Beaute J’adore make this one back in 2014. I love that Simplicity released a vintage caftan pattern last year (S8505), it looks like a great and easy pattern. We’ll see.
- LBD – I realized I didn’t have a little black dress last year (well…one that fits anyway) so that has to be added to the wardrobe. I loved Simplicity 8330 since it came out it looks like a great pattern to be dressed up or down which is perfect for a LBD. While the open back of View A has all the drama I love, I will definitely be sewing View D with the closed back because it’s just more practical. I’m thinking black refined ponte or black stretch sateen.
- Swimsuit – I’ve already sewn up the Riri Swimsuit (here), and I reserve the right to swap this (and any of the other patterns), but I really love this swimsuit. I already have some leopard swim fabric I think I will use, but I also have some ethnic print fabric that will work well too. Decisions, decisions…
Whelp…that’s it my nine makes for 2018. I really hope I get to all of them. I’m most doubtful about the jeans and the shirtdress, but maybe this list will keep me accountable. I mean I did tackle a wool coat in 2017 so I have to keep the challenges coming.
Are you participating in this years Make Nine?