It’s hard to believe that it’s already the holiday season. Seriously how did 2019 go by so fast?! With Christmas coming up I thought I’d put together a list of DIY items that make great holiday gifts.
I am typically a selfish sewist, but I do enjoy sewing gifts for friends and family for special occasions. Many years ago I made a stuffed whale as a baby shower gift for a friend welcoming her first child. Years latter she told me that her son loved “fishy” and took him almost everywhere and that just warmed my heart. Handmade gifts are special.
These are timely gifts during the holiday season. Each, except the poncho, would make a great stocking stuffer.
- Beanie w/pom-pom by The Littlest Studio (I would line with a stretch satin)
- Felt wool beret by Erica Bunker.
- Infinity scarf by Melly Sews (great with any fabric)
- Sherpa cowl by Purl Soho
- Wool mittens by Purl Soho
- Fleece gloves by So Sew Easy
- Stadium Throw Blanket by Making Lemonade (add a personal touch with an embroidered or vinyl monogram)
- Easy poncho by Sew Can She
Everyone has stuff to haul, help them do it stylishly. You can use the fabric featuring the recipients favorite color, team or other interest. Almost of these patterns could use a basic cotton and there endless prints available at Fabric.com and Joann.
- Triangle totes by Shiny Happy World
- Zipper card pouch by Craft Passion
- Picnic tote by Sew Can She
- Weekender bag by TrishStitched
- Lunch tote by The Stitching Scientist
- Reversible tote by Very Purple Person
- Faux leather tote by The Littlest Studio
- Foldover clutch by Mimi G
- Velvet envelope clutch by Make it Love it
Cosmetic and Toiletries
Who doesn’t need a need a pouch? Whether its for makeup, toiletries or jewelry, these small totes will be great for your friends and family. If you have an embroidery machine or a vinyl cutter (like a Cricut or Silhouette) you could add some personalization by adding a name or monogram.
- Flat bottom case by See Kate Sew
- Cute corners case by Sew Can She
- Brush case by Do it Better Yourself
- Vinyl pouch by Lia Griffith
- Drawstring pouch by We All Sew
- Vintage round tote by DIY Tutorial Ideas
- Insomniac Teddy Bear by Funky Friends Factory
- Owl plushie toy by Teacup Lion
- Elephant Softie by Henry Helga for Birch Fabrics
- Whale of a Whale stuffie by Googie Momma
- Wanderlust Rucksack by Sew Modern Bags
- Heart backpack by Sew Much Ado
- Unicorn backpack by Sew Much Ado
- Small backpack by So Sew Easy
I had to include scrunchies because my tween daughter loves them and they are super easy. Sweet Red Poppy did this great scrunchie tutorial with 6 different variations.
What gifts do you love to give? Let me know in the comments!